Questions and Answers for when it gets REALLY, REALLY COLD!
Is it normal for my house temperature to drop when temperatures outside drop below 5 degrees Fahrenheit in Indianapolis, Indiana and surrounding areas like Fishers, Carmel, Geist, Zionsville, and Plainfield?
Yes, when the temperatures outside drop below what we call the “outdoor design temperature“, it is possible and actually likely if the low temperatures continue. HVAC contractors typically design systems to maintain your home at 69 degrees, called “indoor design temperature“, which is what is recommended by ACCA(which is the Air Conditioning Contractors of America). So, when we have temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit here in Indy, yes, your home can “lose ground”
Is there anything that can be done before the temperature inside has dropped?
Yes, whenever you know an arctic cold blast is on its way or that temperatures are going to drop you can usually raise your temperature above the 69 degrees so that you have some extra degrees to “lose”. You can also:
1. Check your air filter, time slips by quickly, & it is THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM WITH HVAC
2. Make sure to get your HVAC system serviced yearly by Baptist Heating & Air Inc.
3. Observe your system to notice changes in noises & sounds & pay attention to sights and “feels”
Is there anything else that can be done after the cold hits?
When the temperatures drop below the design temperature and stay under, if you have “lost ground” so that you are below the temperature you are comfortable with you can try to heat up the house other ways:
1. Turning all the lights on in the house will help, especially if you have old incandescent bulbs, and not LED’s & compact fluorescents.
2. Run your oven through a cleaning cycle, or make cookies!
3. Some TV’s will help heat up the home as well
4. Cook some bacon(I had to squeeze that in)Stay warm! I hope this helps you out.
If you have any other questions, dont hesitate to give us a call, we will be happy to help you out!